Sunday, May 12, 2013

Rev 3 Knoxville 2013 Race Report

Rev3 Knoxville - Olympic Rev
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
55F / 13C

Triathlon - Olympic
Total Time = 2h 34m 44s
Overall Rank = 79/355
Age Group = M 40-45
Age Group Rank = 13/45

Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday morning leaving the house at 9:45am. Things went well until after my first pit stop for gas and lunch. Got a couple Hot Dogs with relish and a bag of Sugar Free Wintergreen Lifesavers (since I couldn't fing regular ones). About a hour later my stomach and bowels were not happy with me and I had to make several restroom stops as my body reject and got rid of my lunch. Although I initially blamed the relish, turns out it was the lifesavers (aspertane suck) as on the ride home I ate the last few and the same reaction occurred (fortunately only one restroom stop was required) This made a long drive longer but I made it to Knoxville just in time to check in, unload my stuff, change and head to World's Fair park for the Glow run 5K. Checked in got my glowsticks and number and jogged to the start just in time. Started mid pack as I intended to just jog, but as the crowd opened up I responded and ran and felt really good. This was the first fast run since coming back from my foot injury so it was a good sign. I think I ended up top 15 or so but it was an untimed and unscored race with the 1K walkers/fun run coming to the finish at the same time so no way to really know. Felt good though. We raised over $25K for an injuried UT swimmer/Boston Marathon victem.

Slept in the next morning and then headed to the expo and checked in before the rain started. Started waiting in line for a bike tune up but the line was long and the rain was picking up so I rode down to transition to check my bike in. On the way out of transition I saw a group of folks around two fallen cyclist who fell on the 60 degree wet railroad tracks. Helped out as much as I could until the police and ambulences arrived then directed traffic around the ambullences. Away that fun experience I was in no mood to swim in the cold and rain or do a bike ride so I headed up to the Expo and started my shift at the Biotta Naturals tent early and spent the rest of the afternoon hawking Beet Juice and Vegitable juice. Made some friends and met several pros and guy from the bigggest loser season 2. Gave out more bottle towards the end of the day then closed up shop and headed to the hotel. Had some popeyes chicken burritos for dinner, called home, and watched the Bull and Nets game then hit the hay. 5:35 wake up call.

Event warmup:

Got up got tri slided and pulled on my uniform and wetsuit as it was still raining. Walked down to the expo and dropped off a bag at the team tent for after and then headed down to transition. Set up transition, chilled and then put the wetsuit the rest of the way on for the walk to the start in the rain. Walked the .75 miles to the start hit the porta potties, then watch the pre race ceremony and watch the pros start, then waited for my wave to be ushered down the stairs to the boat dock. Jumped in the 59 degree watch adjusted my goggles and swam to the starting line to get warm.

00:25:44 | 1640.42 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/45
Overall: 130/355
Performance: Good
Suit: Hurricane Cat 5 full

Start against the current swimming upstream past the river paddle boat, under the bridge, and out to the turn buoy, short jaunt to the middle of the river, then downstream with the current back to the start, past the start under two more bridges to the UT boat dock and out.

Start type: Deep Water
Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C
Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average
Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average
Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad

Water was realy cold at first but Once I got moving and got my face used to it I was fine. Since everyone was late getting into the water (bunch of lemmings at the end of the dock), I had alot of open space on the outside. Start was ggod and clean and didn't have any contact until the first guide buoy when the inside and outside groups came together. Got wacked in the face with a hand but one guy and kick in the same goggle a few stroke later. After that it was smooth sailing to the turn buoy. This time there was a bigger log jam and I found myself stuck basicly being swept under the bouy unable to move forward. Then the a@#$%#@e in front of my crys like a @#$%##g little @#&$%# (If you can't tell he didn't make my christmas card list) to get off me and punches me in the throat. If that wasn't bad enough the shot pushed me under the buoy where I got tangled with the rope and ended up swallowing half the river. I paniced and got out of there but needed a few tries to settle down considering I could have drowned thanks to this $%&*%#$%^&** piece of $%^&. Once I did get going I had to calm myself down as I was having trouble breathing. Fortunately the guy looked like everyone else (wetsuit goggle green cap) in my wave cause it I found him, he would not have been a happy camper. Got to the next buoy and went wide around to avoid a repeat performance and then started getting after it. Finally recovered, I started really swimming harder and reeled in a passed two large groups in front of me, Swimming a bit angry until I finally started catching a bunch of red caps and got caught by my first pink cap as we found the way to the dock. Rolled myslf out onto the dock and was done.

What would you do differently?:

Not swallow a few gallons of river water by staying out of that mess at the turn buoy. I normally go wide for a reason, that was it. But that said I was 13/45 in my AG and was about 2 minutes faster than last year so all the swimming this off season appear to have paid off.

Time: 06:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average
Wetsuit stuck? Yes
Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average

Long run up the boat ramp down the street around the parking garage and into transition. Found my rack OK, got out of my wetsuit ok. Took the extra time to dry off, put my socks, and armwarmers on, which paid off.

What would you do differently?:

Not too much only lost about 2:30 to the leaders so time was mostly reflective of the long run to T1. Extra time to dry off fully paid off with being warm on the bike.

01:13:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/45
Overall: 72/355
Performance: Average
Split #1 12.30 miles 40:17 (18.32 mph) Split #2 11.70 miles 32:55 (21.33 mph)
Wind: Some with gusts


Nice course out and over the river then through Downtown Knoxville and out to the country roads. Lots of rolling hills a two long hills one in each half and 2 Cat 5 climb. Railroad tracks and rough roads in spots but scenic and fun ride.

Road: Rough Wet
Turns: Average
Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good
Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable
Drinks: Just right

Long run out of T1, then back into the rain. Got clipped in easy and got up to speed fairly quickly. The first short steep hill on the on ramp I did a good job not stalling out and getting to a low gear early enough. Got into a nice rhythm and rode well. With the conditions I made a concious decision to hold back a few notches. Given the road conditions in town and the wet roads, that was a good choice. By drying off I was able to stay warm untill I built up some body heat. Alot of folks who didn't got really chilly due to the relative wind on the downhills combined with the rain. Rode the hills in the first half well although I mis identified the first Cat 5 climb and was a bit off gear for that long climb but I recoveried. I really don't recall more than one person passing me and staying ahead of me (plus the relay guy would lost a chain then had another issue 10 miles later.) Got to the turnaround and really struggled to make that slow turn then I finally notched up the intensity and went affter it a bit more as my legs felt great. Ripped through the flats and did a good job on the second Cat 5 hill but took it very cautiously on the downhill after, riding the breaks. Pushed on the flats and uphills and other than the steep hill into town where I down shifted way too early and got passed back (got him back on the hill and left him at the top). Good ride back in but nailed a few potholes since I had rain speckled glasses. Got back to Neland Drive and transition and unclipped a bit early and coasted in, happy to be down safely.

What would you do differently?:

Given the conditions not too much. My legs felt great so I know I could have gone harder, but the road conditions, rain, wind, railroad tracks, reduced visability glasses, and cold dictated a different strategy. Picked up 5 spots in my AG and 50 spots overall and had 10th fastest split in my AG.

Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Jumping off bike: Below average
Running with bike: Good
Racking bike: Below average
Shoe and helmet removal: Good

Really poor at dismounting as I come to a complete stop and take too long to dismount. Then good run though transition and got cheered my the Rev3 crew working the race. Overshot my rack, not alot of bike in there :). And a few issues getting my tire in the rack. Quick change of shoes and grabbed my race belt for the run. Put it on upside down and then changed it but was moving the whole time so no big deal.

What would you do differently?:

Didn't grab my gel. Don't overshoot my rack.

00:47:27 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s min/mile
Age Group: 13/45
Overall: 79/355
Performance: Average
Split #1 20:26 2.70 miles (7:34 per mile) Split #2 27:02 3.51 miles (7:43 per mile)


Out of transition, down Neland to the greenway along the stream. Greenway to the park #1 then around the corner to park number 2, then arcross the street to the turnaround and back, then past transition under the road up the ramp then back up the hill to World's Fair Park, through the mud to the finish chute.

Keeping cool: Good
Drinking: Just right


Started off feeling good but not great. Hadn't done alot of running the last few months due to a tendon issue with the top of my right foot but that had finally cleared up and I could run but had no idea what to expect speed wise. Cruised down Neland and had a lady and a 23 year old pass me) On the greenway the first aid station was under a bridge that was just pissing a fountain of water on the course then we started hitting the big and deep puddles. Had another 23 year old catch me and remarked I was a hard guy to catch up to (he caught me and started talking to me on the second Cat 5 hill before I scooted away). made it through the park and saw Summer, and Joshua coming back, sloshed through a big puddle right before the road crossing hit the turn a around and started back. Tryed to pick up the pace but each time I got rolling felt like I hit another puddle and lost my rhytm. Got passed by 3 people in my wave and 2 in my age group on the way in but the two in my AG ran 38 and 42 min 10K splits so did let that get me down. The tunnel under the road and switchback back up is really the hardest part of the run, but got it back together and work to the finish. Had one last woman pass me as we crossed over the track and then held off a set of footsteps through the park to the road and to the chute, then hustled through the mud to the finsh and posed to the cameras as Sean called me in.

What would you do differently?:

Given no speed work, and alot of uncertainty, and the conditions, I'll take a 47:27 which was 30+ seconds faster than last year coming in in really good running shape and great conditions. Not quite the 46s I was pulling at the end of last year but I wasn't expecting those. Did lose focus and rhythm too often due to the puddles. Can't let that get to me. Lost 2 spots in my AG and 3 overall on the run, but really can't complain.

Great video that captured the day very well.

Post race

Warm down:

Got my finishers medal and shirt, gatorade and water, then hit the VIP tent to grab my bag and head back to the hotel, dry off and take a shower and check out before noon since they couldn't give me a late checkout. SHowered changed and checked out and loaded up the car, then went to the parking lot mid way between transitiona nd the Finishline. Went and got my bike and stuff, saw two folks who were rather hypothermic and got some help for them ,then walked back to my car and loaded up. Quick trip to transition to see my time and met up with Anthony who won his AG. Then back to the car for a 10 hour drive home. Really missed the Normatec folks not being there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sppedwork and running due to an injury this winter and lossing focus due to raod conditions.

Event comments:

Weather conditions were brutal. Alot of folks DNS or DNFed due to the weather and a few folks got a trip to the ER for Hypothermia including one of the folks I got help for. Had warmup room in the local hotel and great support on the course and finsih and transitions. Great job by the Rev 3 crew on a nasty day. Weather sucked but the race was great and I was pretty happy.

Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]: 4
Physical exertion [1-5]: 3
Good race? Yes

Course challenge:Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]: 5


  1. Nice work Andy! See you in a couple weeks for Quassy!

  2. Nice job out there! Are you doing the double in Quassy?

    1. Of course! Actually its a "triple this year with the Glow run thrown in for fun too!

  3. IT IS Genuinely Really Helpful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Publish Simply because IT IS Very Beneficial FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Same Very best Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    lodging knoxville
    cabins in knoxville